So much big magazine & news website is use Wordpress as their platform because of it beautiful design and a bunch of plugins ...
“I have plenty of ideas, how do I start my own blog using wordpress?”
As a group of men who worked in wordpress industry so far, almost everyday people around us asking that question, especially the one who don’t have any technological skills.
Maybe, that is your question too.
Yes, we fully understand that creating a new website is will be look spooky or frightening for a novices.
Actually, starting out your own blog from zero is doesn’t have to be so much hassle and it can be almost free. In this cases Mahathemes.com will guide you to creating your website from zero using wordpress without any technical knowledge.
Creating your first bog may take up to 30 minutes to setup. It might make sense to bookmark this page if you are planning to start a blog when you have some extra time.
This guide is easy to follow for anyone. However if you need any help, Mahathemes will help you, just email us at : thememaha[at]gmail[dot]com
First of all, what do you need to start your own wordpress blog?
- Choosing your blog topics or niche
- A wordpress.org as your blogging platform
- Pick a hosting provider & domain name
- Installing wordpress on your web hosting account
- Choose WordPress theme
- How to install your new blog theme
Ready? Let’s get started..
1. CHOOSING YOUR BLOG TOPICS OR NICHE
There is at least 2 reason why choosing your blog niche is really important :
First, if you wrong in choosing your blog niche (or not focusing in 1 niche) will make your chance to grow up your website become small
Second, wrong decission in choosing a niche will make your process to writing your content feel hard. Or you will be lazily writing your content. Quality content is like a blood for your blog, without quality content your blog will be not awesome.
Then, how to choose the best niche for you?
We will write more details about choosing the right niche if you want to use your blog to raise more incomes later in another post (we will update here when the post launch). For now here is my advice :
- don’t listen to anyone, write about what are you passionate the most
- Choose based on your skill or your realtive knowledge
- Seeing from the trend that is or will be rising
- Write about your business or professional job you do right now
Don’t worry about your writing style for right now, just found your niche then writing style will follow.
2. A WORDPRESS.ORG AS YOUR BLOGGING PLATFORM
We always mention wordpress as our recommendation even there is a bunch of blogging platform we can found in the world. For example: blogger, drupal, joomla, etc. However…
- Blogger – Okay, blogger is free platform but you lack of control of your own blog. Even it rarely happen but blogger have the right to delete your blog without warning.
- Ghost – as new blogging platform ghost still lack of feature, and you need to write some code just to give a bold or italic text. Me, as a writer, I found it disturbing.
- Drupal – quite popular but is difficult for novices
- Joomla – another fairly popular CMS but there is a very steep learning curve
- WordPress.com – Even from same company, wordpress.org and wordpress.com is very different. Just like blogger, wordpress.com is free but not totally free, you need to pay more to unlock some limited feature. I will write the details about the different about wordpress.org and wordpress.com later — i will update this post if it launches, or you can subscribe us to get notice straight in your email when it launches.
But, not because another platform have a lack of feature we choose wordpress.org as platform, but we love wordpress.org because something else too, like :
- With WordPress, we don’t need to build website from scratch so you can save so much of your time and energy.
- We can modify wordpress.org platform without limit or you can modify it according to what you need, both in appearance and in it feature.
- You can choose so many theme and plugin out there, so you can modify it appearance or adding more feature without any knowledge in programming.
- You can learn it easily
- WordPress.org continually developed and updated by millions of programmers in the world. Thanks for it open-souce platform
- WordPress has the largest community in the world. SO, when you have problem with it, you can get the answer easily in the internet.
That is the reasons why since 2003 until today WordPress still the most popular Content Management System (CMS) in the world.
3. PICK A HOSTING PROVIDER & DOMAIN NAME
Before we begin installing wordpress platform, you need a place to install it : a hosting and domain
Here is a simple understanding of it :
Hosting or website hosting is a place we save our files, it’s like hard drive in your computer but have capabilities to online, so people can see your blog in their browser.
Then the domain is simply an address
To be able to access your website, people need to write your domain name in their browser. The quick example is like we use now : mahathemes.com
Choose a website hosting
There’s so many website hosting you can choose. Such us Bluehost, Godaddy, Hostgator, iPage, etc…
In this guide we will only give you the best website hosting recommendation for wordpress : Bluehost.com
There is a bunch of reason why bluehost is the best hosting for wordpress. But, I will only writes a short explanation why Bluehost is the best hosting. And write more details about it in another post (subscribe to notice it faster).
- High Customer Satisfaction : starting out in 1996 (that’s before Google), BlueHost has a long history in the web hosting industry which makes it experienced enough to know what customers really need.
- Bluehost offer Affordable WordPress Hosting Price : Price is always one of the top concerns for most WordPress users, especially those running a small personal blog.
- Quick WordPress Installation : One of the easiest things of hosting WordPress websites on BlueHost is the quick WordPress installation with only one-click.
- Easy Account Management : BlueHost utilizes cPanel, the most popular and user-friendly control panel, to help WordPress users get full control over every aspect of their hosting accounts.
- Quick Response Customer Support : BlueHost offers all customers with 24×7 Utah based technical support powered by a professional support team with WordPress knowledge.
- Bluehost recommended by WordPress.org itself : Yes, the company who developing wordpress platform itself. No one knowing wordpress better than the creator itself.
A domain name typically costs $14.99 / year, and web hosting normally costs $7.99 / month.
Thankfully, Bluehost offer mahathemes.com user with a free domain name and over 60% off on web hosting.
Now, let me guide you how to buy hosting and domain.
First thing you need to do is click on the green Get Started Now button to get started.
Next you’ll need to select the right plan for you and your blog. For newbie blog and website owners, you only really need the basics, so I would recommend the “Basic Plan”.
Once you’ve selected your plan you’ll then see page below.
If you already have a domain name that you want to use, then just enter it in the right hand box and then click next to assign your domain name to your new hosting.
Let’s say you don’t have a domain name and you want to claim your free domain.
Type in the domain name that you’d like in the left hand box where it says “New Domain” and then click next. If it’s available then you’ll be able to proceed.
If it’s already registered then BlueHost will cleverly show you some similar domain names that you might want to consider. Or you can just type out another domain name idea to see if it’s available.
Once you’ve filled out the domain registration form, its then time to select your hosting plan. You’ll find this section directly below the account information section.
I normally select the basic plan at 36 months to get a better deal on the hosting, but 12 or 24 months is fine also.
Ignore all the other tick boxes below the package options as this is stuff that isn’t needed and will only cost you extra each month.
4. INSTALLING WORDPRESS
Once completed, you will receive an email with details on how to login to your web hosting control panel (cPanel). This is where you manage everything from support, emails, among other things. But most importantly, this is where you install WordPress.
Head over to the “Website” section and click on “Install WordPress” to quickly set up WordPress on your domain.
On the next screen, you will be asked to select your domain name. Choose the domain from the dropdown and then click Next.
After that, you need to enter your Site Name, username, and a password for your site. You also need to check all the checkboxes and then click Install.
The QuickInstall will start installing WordPress. The marketplace will prompt you to browse WordPress themes, while WordPress is being installed.
No need to do that right now. We’ll show you how to get free WordPress themes in the next step.
Once WordPress is finished installing, you will see the success notice in the top header bar.
Click on the Installation Complete link, and it will take you to the screen with your WordPress login URL and password.
Congratulations, you have created your WordPress site. That wasn’t too bad right.
Your WordPress login URL will look like this:
Click on the WordPress login link to login to your dashboard.
Now we’re ready to customize your site’s appearance and start blogging.
5. CHOOSE WORDPRESS THEME
The visual appearance of your WordPress blog is controlled by themes. When you first visit your blog, it will look something like this:
This is not very appealing to most people.
Customizing the look and feel of your blog is by far one of the most exciting and rewarding part in the journey of creating your WordPress site.
There are thousands of pre-made WordPress themes that you can install on your site. Some of them are free, while others are paid.
You can change your theme by going to your WordPress dashboard and clicking on Appearance » Themes.
Go ahead and click on the Add New button.
On the next screen, you will able to search from the 4100 free WordPress themes that are available in the official WordPress.org themes directory. You can sort by popular, latest, featured, as well as other feature filters (i.e industry, layout, etc).
When you have found the theme that you like, simply bring your mouse on it, and it will show the Install button. Click on it and wait for the theme to be installed. After that, the install button will be replaced with an Activate button. You need to click on it to Activate the theme.
Once you have installed your theme, you can customize it by clicking on the Customize link under the Appearance menu.
6. HOW TO INSTALL YOUR NEW BLOG THEME
Your new theme will come in a .zip file format if you have purchased one. You have the options to upload it straight into your WordPress Dashboard by logging into your WordPress blog (http://domain.com/wp-admin) and then going to: APPEARANCE > THEMES > INSTALL THEMES > UPLOAD THEMES and then uploading your theme .zip file just like you would adding an attachment on to an email.
If you’ve chosen a free theme through your WordPress dashboard you just click INSTALL on the preview screen. You can always switch back to your old theme if you don’t like the look of the new one.
You’ll now have a pretty blank looking theme set up and waiting for some love. At this stage you want to fill out all the basics like your About page, logos, social media links and other content.
Now you are ready to begin to promote your new blog and also learn How to Maximize Revenues of Your Websites or Blogs
Incoming search terms:
- maha maha theme